Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Supima Design Competition

For the past two years, the luxury cotton company Supima has emerging designers with a fashion competition. Yesterday morning I thought I would be sharing with you photos and comments from last night’s Supima Design Competition. I was wrong. Sadly, I didn’t get to attend the event. I wanted to and had heard about the competition for some time now, plus someone I actually know was in the competition. When my friend and I arrived at The Times Center we checked in and were told to go down the stairs. Little did we know that even though you received a RSVP confirmation, that didn’t necessarily mean you were getting to see the show. Needless to say, after the hour of confusion (confusion on both attendees and people working the show); when the dust settled we were one of the people that didn’t go in to the auditorium to see the show.

Before this turns into a bitter post (bitter is never a good look), I will say that I’m happy to announce that designer Gina De Silva was the grand prize winner in the third annual Supima Design Competition (I heard the news right after the show from my client/friend designer May Kosaka). I had the pleasure of meeting Gina through Showroom New York, a showroom based in NYC whose aim is to incubate and nurture young designers that manufacture in New York City, and working with her and several other designers from the showroom (Mothe, Hatting by La China Loca, Manisse, Shauntele, and Keruvim) in their PR efforts for the “I Wear NY” fashion show last September.

Gina De Silva graduated from NYU with a degree in Studio Art in 2001. She learned her craft in her family's bridal salon and custom eveningwear business. DeSilva was one of six finalists to show her designs at the live runway finale held at The Times Center in The New York Times Building. At the conclusion of the runway presentation, the judges' verdict was announced.

Once again disappointed I wasn’t able to attend, but a big congratulation to Gina De Silva!!!!


No comments: