Thursday, January 15, 2009

I love a good bargain!

If you love a good bargain as much as I do then you should really continue reading. Pongan el Café had the opportunity to chat with one Latina who’s making moves, fashion expert Lilliana Vazquez. This chica offers trendy and budget-conscious ideas to the masses through her blog The Cheap Chica’s Guide to Style.

Here is Part I of our chat with Lilliana, where she shared some of her experiences in the fashion industry and some advice for women who’d like to break into the industry.


CB: What made you want to pursue a career in fashion?
LV: My aunt taught me to sew when I was just a little girl and since that day, I’ve always had a deep interest in how clothes were made and a true appreciation for fashion. When I got older, I knew that this would be the perfect industry for me because I was going to pursue something I loved and that I was passionate about, instead of just any old job.

CB: What experiences did you have when you first moved to NY after college? What kinds of obstacles/opportunities did you encounter?
LV: Unfortunately, I had a very “Devil Wears Prada” experience when I first moved to NYC and was working at W magazine. But it quickly opened my eyes to how cutthroat this industry was and prepared me for the future.

When I started my accessories line I had NO money and I was totally out of my league. I was competing with designers who had more experience and established brand names, but I had confidence, loads of it, and buyers sensed that about me. They also sensed that I was a young, hungry and a really hard worker and that opened up a lot of relationships for me with major department stores and big time buyers.

CB: What led you to The CheapChica's Guide to Style?
LV:
For as long as I can remember, people have always asked me what I was wearing. When I told them where I got it and how much it cost, they were totally shocked! I rarely spend more than $50 on one item and I live by the mantra that style has nothing to do with money… so I thought, why not share my budget fashion tips and style advice with other people?? I love to write and I thought a blog would be the perfect forum to reach millions of people who just want to look good, on the cheap! =)

CB: What advice can you give Hispanic women trying to break into the fashion industry as a writer, stylist, designer, etc.?
LV: Commit, commit, commit. I can’t tell you how bad you have to want something to actually get it! I also strongly believe in the benefits of internships and having a mentor. Find someone in your community that has the job/position you want and get in touch with them…ask if you can volunteer your time and take full advantage of that experience…even if it means getting them coffee! It will open your eyes to the daily nuances of that job and by being in that workplace, you will start to build a network of contacts in that industry which will be beneficial in the long run.

CB: What do you have planned for the near future in terms of your career and working with Hispanic women?
LV: I am looking forward to adding both video and audio elements to the blog and hopefully developing a web show all about budget fashion!
I always make a strong effort to reach out to the Hispanic community for models and designer to feature in all of my TV appearances and articles.


Catch up on more with Lilliana Vazquez in Part II of our chat, where she’ll offer some great fashion tips – how to look fabulous without breaking the bank (especially useful in this economic slump)!




No comments: