Saturday, June 7, 2008

Revolution and Capitalism?

I was at the doctor's office yesterday reading amNY. I came across a tiny article in the World Briefs section on Che Guevara's kids. Two of his kids said they're tired of having their father's image used to sell everything.

Now, I must admit that I all about the revolutionary image on t-shirts and hats. I even bought a shirt for my friend (who I believe was involved in some revolutionary movement in a past life). I also thought that you should only wear the shirts if you know who Che was, which most of the people wearing it have no clue who he was and what he did.

Anyway, I totally understand where his children are coming from. I for one have had it with his image all over the place and people really not understanding what that stands for. The last straw for me was when I saw a t-shirt with Che Guevara's image decorated in color patterns and rhinestones looking like an Ed Hardy shirt gone totally wrong.

No comments: