Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why is it so hard to forgive and forget?

I was watching the 4th hour of the Today Show on Tuesday at work. By the way, I thought I wouldn’t like the 4th hour, but to my surprise I watch it everyday I think Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb quit enjoyable. Anyway, there was a segment on relationships with Today Show contributor Dr. Laura Berman. I stopped working and started listening to the segment because I for one suffer from forgiving but there is no way in hell I’m going to forget. I have to be honest and admit that I hold on to things for way too long.

Here are a few of the reasons given as to why we don’t have an easy time forgiving those we love:
§ Depends on the crime
§ Depends on our own emotional state (If raised in a family where forgiveness was rare and grudges were long, we unwillingly carry that)
§ Depends on how we are able to express difficult emotions (that’s my stumbling block)
§ The most important one (drum roll please), depends on our sense of responsibility for our own lives and relationships (as much as it kills me to say, no adult is ever a completely innocent victim)

One thing that struck a chord with me was that one forgives out of selfishness than anything else. Whoever does not agree with is a liar and full of shit. I started to think about why I forgive people and why I press people to forgive me. And I won’t say that it 100% selfishness, but I like to forgive and be forgiven mostly to feel better about myself and to be a peace with myself.

I’ll leave you with this lovely thought. If you feel love and a connection to the person you are angry with, then it’s time to forgive and forget. It may take time to heal and rebuild, but if you commit to honestly communication with that person and yourself you'll likely make it through the other side in a better place in your relationship than before.


P.S. It’s not good for the soul to be so angry and untrusting all the time, plus it adds to the aging factors (no need to rush those wrinkles)

___________________________________________________________________

¿Por qué es tan dificl perdonar y olvidar?

Yo empece a ver la cuarta hora de el Today Show en NBC. Pensé que no gustaria la cuarta hora, pero a mi sorpresa lo veo diario yo pienso que Kathy Lee Gifford y Hoda Kotb son bastante agradable. Anyway, el martes en el trabajo había un segmento sobre relaciones con la Dr. Laura Berman, contribuidora de el Today Show. Paré el trabajar y comencé a escuchar el segmento porque yo sufro de perdónar y pero hamas olvidar. Tengo que ser honesta y admitir que me aferro a las cosas por un tiempo demasiado largo.
Aquí están algunas de las razones dadas en cuanto porqué no es fácil perdonar ésos que amamos:
§ Depende de la situacion
§ Depende de nuestro propio estado emocional (si tu familia no perdona, ya lo sabes que tu tampoco perdona facil)
§ Depende de cómo podemos expresar las emociones
§ El más importante (rodillo de tambor por favor) depende de nuestro sentido de la responsabilidad de nuestras propias vidas y relaciones (tanto como me mata por decir, no hay adulto totalmente inocente, sorry!!)

Lo que yo me encuentro bien interesante es que uno perdona por egoísmo que todo lo demás. Quien no esta de acuerdo con esto es un mentiroso y un come mierda. Comencé a pensar en porqué perdono a gente y porqué presiono a gente perdonarme. Y no es 100% egoismo, el gusto de perdonar y de ser perdonada sobre todo es para sentirme major.

Los dejaré con este pensamiento. Si usted siente amor y una conexión con la persona que usted está enojado con, entonces es hora de perdonar y de olvidar. Puede tardar tiempo para curar y para reconstruir, pero si usted confía y es honesto con esa persona le va ir major.

P.S. No es bueno que para el alma que estes enojado todo el tiempo, eso agrega a los factores de envejecimiento y arrugas

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kudos, cafe. i'm like you, i hold on to a grudge like its gold. but, as i'm growing and learning and encoutering really ingorant people, i'm learning that life's too short to hold on to all of that. takes up too much spiritual energey.