Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Seven words you can't say on television....

I know I'm about three days late in writing this, but I still can't believe George Carlin is dead. I remember the first time I heard of George Carlin was in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. For some reason, don't really remember why, I became a fan after then.

What I enjoyed most about him was that first off, he's a fellow New Yorker (grew up right on West 122nd street), second he lived his life like his comedy fast, without censorship, and with major enjoyment, and third he became a social critic in the most effective way possible, through entertainment. You have to have a lot of respect for honest and unapologetic people, and that he was especially in his comedy (I try to live like this but find it very difficult sometimes).

HBO and “Saturday Night Live” will pay tribute to George Carlin this week. “SNL” will re-air the 1975 premiere episode that Carlin hosted at 10:30 p.m. this Saturday. HBO will air Carlin’s most recent special, “It’s Bad for Ya,” at 8 p.m. Friday. HBO2 will air 11 of the 14 HBO specials he did beginning today.

I think what makes comedy funny is that fact that there is truth in every jest. He has so many great one liners that I'll leave you with a couple of my favorite ones. Enjoy!

-Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.
-By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.
-Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?
-"I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence?
-I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.

-I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me - they're cramming for their final exam.
-I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
-If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.
-People who say they don't care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don't care what people think.
-The reason I talk to myself is that I'm the only one whose answers I accept.
-Ladies, leave your eyebrows alone. Here's how much men care about your eyebrows: Do you have two of them? Okay, we're done.

No comments: