Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Summer reading...

I must admit that I fancy chick lit. It's fun, sometimes unrealistic, but hopeful at the same time. For sometime I kept on passing by the same book at Borders,"The Dirty Girls Social Club" by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez. I finally picked it up last summer and I'm glad I did.

For those unfamiliar with the book, it's a story about 6 Latina friends from Boston University who have been keeping in touch regularly for the past 7 years since graduation. The women (Sara, Lauren, Rebecca, Usnavy, Elizabeth, and Amber) all have different backgrounds, character, and careers.

What I love most about this book is how Valdes-Rodriguez keeps that story funny and optomistic while touching on serious subjects such as racism, homophobia, sexism, and violence against women.

I am anxiously awaiting the sequel, "Dirty Girls on Top", which hits shelves on July 8th. I hope to laugh, cry, and be touched even more so than from the first book.

If you want to take a look at other Valdes-Rodriguez books, currently I'm reading "Playing with Boys", check out her blog http://alisavaldesrodriguez.blogspot.com/.

No comments: